Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC)
What is the VET TEC Program?
VET TEC is an acronym for Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses. This is a program offered under the direction of the Veterans Administration that will pay for Veterans to get training in technology jobs without consuming their GI Bill® benefits. This program is an alternative to the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, with a focus on getting Veterans into flexible, in-demand, high-paying careers like, e.g., information security and software coding. As per the Department of Veterans Affairs website, Intellectual Point is listed as a VET TEC Training Provider.
VET TEC is an acronym for Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses. This is a program offered under the direction of the Veterans Administration that will pay for Veterans to get training in technology jobs without consuming their GI Bill® benefits.
- Submit an Application to the VA and obtain the COE.
- Review the Career Pathways
- Review the VET TEC calendar
- Send us your VET TEC or VRRAP COE to email@example.com and indicate which pathway you like to enroll in.
- Call us at 703-554-3827 or 301-704-9342 to talk with a training consultant if you have any questions.
The schedule of classes for Career Pathways and Individual Classes can be found here!
To see the full schedule check out these buttons!
Where Should You Start?
THE INDIVIDUAL CLASSES (126 Hours) INCLUDE:
- CompTIA Security+ | 72 hours
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) | 72 hours
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) | 144 hours
- CompTIA Security+ | 72 hours
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) | 72 hours
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) | 72 hours
What are the main differences between the VET TEC Program and the GI Bill®?
- Using your GI Bill® subtracts from your remaining benefits and VET TEC does not.
- VET TEC only provides training in concentrated, technology boot camps and trade schools; the GI Bill®may be used for traditional degrees as well.
- Eligibility for the two programs differs. Active duty service members, Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) spouses, and some others are not eligible for VET TEC.
- A Veteran needs to be enrolled in the program for 18 hours per week, to receive reimbursement through VET TEC.
- A student Veteran must graduate and secure meaningful employment (as defined by the VA) in order to initiate full tuition and fee reimbursement to the training provider.
- For the full list of benefits
Are there any benefits that are the same in the VET TEC Program and the GI Bill?
- Yes, you will still receive a form of Military Housing Allowance (MHA) while training with the VET TEC.
- You can still use your GI Bill® benefits after graduating from a VET TEC program if you choose.
How do I know if the VET TEC Program is the best option for me?
- If you can answer “yes” to the following questions, then the VET TEC Program can work for you!
- Are you a military Veteran?
- Are you eligible for the GI Bill®?
- Do you still have any GI Bill® benefits remaining? (Even one day is enough)!
- Are you seeking a new career?
- Are you interested in working in technology?
- Are willing and able to do what it takes to get the education and employment?
If I already work in the tech industry at an entry-level position, am I allowed to use VET TEC to further my technical education?
Yes! If you are eligible for VET TEC and you are able to get into a program with an approved provider, then you are able to use a VET TEC training institution to advance your career. The VA does not exclude participants who are already working in their target industry. All students are still required to satisfy the ‘meaningful employment’ requirement.
If I apply for VET TEC benefits and use them, how will that affect my current GI Bill® benefits that I have not used?
Even if you use VET TEC, you will still keep every last GI Bill® benefit you currently have. The VA does not take away or subtract from any of your GI Bill® entitlements because of VET TEC.
How do I enroll in the VET TEC Program?
- In order to be eligible for the VET TEC Program, Veterans must submit an application to the VA. Even if a Veteran is not sure if they are eligible for the VET TEC Program, they should apply at:
- Veterans should make sure that their address and their direct deposit information are up to date with the VA. To update your address, submit an Email to VETTEC.VBABUF@va.gov, or call (888) 442-4551.
- To report changes to your Direct Deposit account, contact the VA and provide: your new account number; your 9-digit routing number; and your type of account (checking or savings).
- You will need to verify your enrollment on a monthly basis.
Is the Certification Exam Fee for the course under the VET TEC Program Included?
No, however; if you have benefits available VIA GI Bill you can get reimbursement for the certification exam through the Department of Veterans Affairs program.
You’ll need to fill out an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees (VA Form 22-0803).
Download VA Form 22-0803 (PDF)
Note: Please turn in proof of payment with your application. Proof of payment can be a receipt showing you paid the testing fee.
Then, either upload your completed form to the GI Bill website or mail it to your VA regional processing office. If you’re uploading the form to the GI Bill website, you’ll first need to create an account.
Upload your completed application to the GI Bill website
Find your VA regional processing office
What should I do if I didn’t get my BAH payment?
Need more help? Please call the VET TEC Help Phone Number 888.442.4551
Additional VET TEC Program Resources:
Did you finish the VET TEC training program? Be sure to check out this Onboarding PDF for helpful information for success!
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. All training for the VET TEC program will be located in our Sterling Office 46175 Westlake Drive, Suite 250, Sterling, VA 20165.
All of the VET TEC approved Intellectual Point programs and pathways can now be attended virtually. We not only provide you an immersive collaborative learning experience online, but we also provide you virtually all the necessary tools and resources such as quiz portal access, simulations, virtual labs, etc. to successfully pass your certification tests. Our virtual remote classes have been very popular and provide the same rich learning experience as the physical classroom.