Getting started in one of the fastest-growing technologies! The Ultimate Guide
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is the delivery of computing services including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence over the cloud (internet) to offer faster innovation, flexible resources, and economies of scale. The cloud has created jobs that range from architects and developers to data scientists, admins and more. Each of these requires specific skill sets and the education needed to keep up with these skills never stops!
Where to start on your cybersecurity career path
Step 1: Get Your Feet Wet
First, you need to build a solid foundation. Learn how cloud computing works, the key concepts, and the main advantages of using it. This will help you understand if cloud computing is the right path for you. If so, this will help you understand the baseline foundational concepts to get started.
Some places you can practice your tech skills:
● ITProTV Labs
● Kali Linux – Fake Websites/Vulnerable Web Apps
● AWS – Spin up an instance & configure it
Some certifications you can start with our CompTIA Security+ Training Course, CompTIA Network+ Training Course, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) Training Course, and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Training Course.
Step 2: Get to Know The Team
Take a look at the industry. Look at who the leaders are, what technologies are in demand, how companies are using cloud computing, and the current trends. Look on job sites to see what positions are available in your area. Then you can see what requirements you can set your goals on.
We have a free Digital Natives Meetup group that has over 2,400 members. This group is a great place to meet other IT professionals and network. These free events could help you get your foot in the door. We have Meetups every month that cover the current topics and interests in the Cybersecurity field. We have guest speakers that are full-time professionals who show cutting-edge technologies and will share their passions with you.
Here are some great job sites to start your search with:
Step 3: Pick Your Domain
There are many roles to consider within cloud computing and will need to pick an area of specialization to start building your expertise. Start learning more about your domain and the services available within the different platforms. If you are ready to master your skills then this is the perfect time for Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
Step 4: Get Certified
The next step in building your career is to get certified. Getting certified will show potential employers that you have industry recognizes skills, and the training necessary to prepare for and pass the exam. Passing the exam will help build your skills and get hands-on practice even without previous experience. Read about the 5 best cloud certifications to have on this blog.
Step 5: Get Hired!
Once you have passed your exam it is time to look for a cloud computing job. You need to update your IT resume and apply to the jobs you looked at in step 2. It is also important to update your Linkedin profile. There are many paths to take in cloud computing but a solid strategy will help you get started. When starting don’t worry about pay scale just get the experience needed for your certification. After you’ve obtained the experience needed, then you can ask for an increase in pay from current or future employers.
Here are the Top 6 Skills you Need to Start a Career in Cloud Computing
- Programming – Developers are now able to build and deploy applications that scale and take full advantage of the cloud’s capabilities. Languages to know are Perl, Java, Python, Ruby on Rails, PHP, .NET and Java.
- Computer Systems – Understand operating systems, virtualization concepts in computer, networking, storage, global and regional deployment strategies.
- Database – With the growing amount of data companies need a way to store, manage, access, and interpret the data. This data is stored on the cloud so cloud engineers use SQL and common database technologies to manage the data.
- Quality Assurance – Follow a set of methods and activities designed to ensure that the software applications are as per standards or SRS and corresponds to all the specifications.
- DevOps– DevOps is a methodology that takes the entire software lifecycle into account including planning, use, and maintenance and is a must-know methodology for anyone involved in cloud computing.
- Security – Hosting critical and sensitive data on the cloud is a very risky challenge. So it is good to be skilled in security knowledge. You need to understand
What is the biggest cloud player in the market?
Amazon’s AWS (Amazon Web Services) is the biggest market player when it comes to the public cloud with 31% market share and growth followed by Microsoft with 9%, IBM with 7%, Google and Salesforce with 4% market shares respectively.
Amazon AWS Certifications
Other Certifications to Consider:
- Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- CompTIA Cloud+
- Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
Schedule to speak with a career mentor.
No cost and no obligation mentoring.
Are you ready to Launch Your Career?
How to Launch Your Cyber Security Career
How to launch a career in Artificial Intelligence
How To Launch a Career in Machine Learning
How to Launch a Career in Network Administration
How to Launch a Career in Project Management
How to Launch Your Career in Cloud
How to Launch Your Career in Pen Testing