Director, Veteran Student Center
TITLE Director, Veteran Student Center
The Director, Veteran Student Center is responsible for the overall management and operation of the Veteran Student Center. The Director of Veteran Student Center provides accurate information to the Department of Veterans Affairs regarding certification of eligible persons for the Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits, coordinates University functions related to veterans, confers with veterans and their dependents, oversees an active outreach and recruitment program for active military and veteran students, and publicizes services offered. The Director, Veteran Student Center interprets and ensures adherence to federal laws that govern the Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits, maintains approval of all educational programs, and coordinates federal and state tuition assistance. The Director, Veteran Student Center supervises full- and part-time employees, graduate assistants, and student employees and provides produces and distributes reports on veterans’ services’ data using query management tools. The Director, Veteran Student Center oversees special, cross-functional programs and projects (GI Bills, VET TEC, VRE, VRRAP, MyCAA) assigned to the Veteran Student Center and ensures information and customer needs are addressed in a prompt and professional manner.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Experience: At least three years of successful administrative experience in higher education and/or a professional field directly relevant to military educational benefits is required. Two years of supervisory work experience is required. Experience in managing projects, coordinating programs, and working with complex data systems is required. Experience in assisting veterans with various issues within higher education, such as certification for educational benefits and working with the Department of Veterans Affairs and tuition assistance programs is preferred. Preference will be given to applicants who are veterans of the US armed forces. Solid understanding of various VETS programs like GI Bills, VET TEC, VRE, VRRAP, MyCAA
Skills: Excellent understanding of various Veteran Programs like Post 911 GI Bills, VET TEC, VRE, VRRAP, MyCAA, and the procedures involved. Excellent management, leadership, interpersonal, customer service, project management, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills are required. Management skills in the selection and supervision of employees are required. The ability to manage details associated with the implementation of complex policies and procedures is required; effective decision-making skills are required. The ability to collaborate effectively with other offices, internal and external to the Institution is required. The ability to learn and use query tools is required. The ability to interpret and enforce U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regulations and procedures is required. The ability to communicate with people at all levels, including officials at the Department of Veterans Affairs, University administrators, staff, veterans, and veterans’ dependents is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Knowledge of the Department of Veterans Affairs education programs and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees operational and personnel functions related to veteran and active military student services including the development and maintenance of policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the outreach to and recruitment of veterans and military-affiliated students and facilitates the enhancement of their retention and graduation rates in support of the Institution’s enrollment management effort.
- Ensures that eligible and potential students are informed about their benefits, new and existing laws governing the same, and veterans’ services available to them through proactive communication.
- Facilitates compliance with federal, state, and other agencies by developing policies, procedures, and interoffice forms, as appropriate, to meet changing federal Department of Veterans Affairs laws governing veterans’ educational benefits.
- Remains knowledgeable about proposed and enacted federal legislation which affects veterans’ educational programs by maintaining membership in professional organizations and participating in national and regional conferences.
- Promotes a positive image of the Veteran Student Center by assisting students in the application process for a veteran or active military benefits by helping them to complete appropriate and required forms, advising them of their rights and responsibilities concerning veteran and active military benefits, and providing them with information about the status of their benefits.
- Develops and administers programs and services at the University by understanding the unique needs of veteran and active military students and seeking to remove barriers to success for these students.
- Manages funds by developing the annual departmental budget and controlling expenditures.
- Develops programs and materials designed to raise awareness of issues facing veteran students.
- Collects, evaluates, and analyzes data related to veteran and active military student enrollment, veteran and active military information, the credit assessment, graduation, and retention as well as alumni information, and prepares administrative reports on a regular basis.
- Coordinates with other offices (e.g. Academic Advisement Center, Office of Admissions, Adult Student Services, Career Center, Office of the Registrar, Scholarships, Student Financial Aid, etc.) regarding the effective and efficient delivery of services to veterans and military-affiliated students.
- Collects, evaluates, and analyzes data and prepares administrative reports on the utilization and effectiveness of the support services offered through the Veteran Student Center.
- Oversees the functions of customer relations and information processing, including coordination of how visitors are greeted, telephones answered, faxes reviewed, and emails addressed.
- Develops a competent, productive, and effective staff by selecting and supervising, directly and through delegation, administrative support, professional, student staff.
- Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management/Registrar.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Veteran Student Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Submit your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org